Wednesday, April 15, 2009

When it doesn't rain, we pour.

We got the prep work done for our concrete RV pad a few weeks ago, and then the weather has been horrible. It's been a long couple of weeks what with the dog getting out and all. I was so glad this was going to finally be done! Really, Alan and I did a fair amount of the prep work about four years ago and then there was a concrete shortage, and then there was a funding shortage on our end and, well... you know how yards can be when you finish your own one piece at a time. Our backyard has looked like a construction zone for the last four years. We're now a little closer to having a cute yard.


Mason was our big helper from the start. I think little boy's heaven is full of rocks, dirt, and shovels. The buckets, trucks, and wheelbarrows are optional.

Well, we knew this was going to be a big day for the truck-worshipping boy at our house. Since I can't (won't usually anyway) help with the heavy duty stuff, I was relegated to kid duty. It worked out well that the mixer truck in our front yard attracted my fun neighbor and her kids, too. It was a lot of fun playing with them while our yard was in chaos. Our other neighbor from up the street also came; they have a new pug puppy, Daisy, that the kids spent a fair amount of time loving on. I took lots of pictures, trying to make sure I had everything Mason would ask to view later. The first thing he asked for was Mason touching the wet cement; that didn't happen because he was too chicken. Oh, well!


The final tally was 12 yards of concrete in two cement trucks, and two chunks of vinyl fencing were carefully ripped out and reconstructed. We opted to chance letting the truck drive on our lawn rather than pay the huge fee to rent a pumper; the real risk was the truck getting stuck (which would quickly be more expensive than the pumper!), but it didn't happen that way. There were some huge ruts in the area that is now under concrete because the truck was so heavy as it started pouring, but that is apparently normal and didn't cause any problems. We also had barely enough concrete in the second truck, and one of the workers literally climbed up into the spout to help it slide down to finish the job. Mason was basically in heaven the whole day, except for the part where it didn't occur to me that any of us would need sunscreen. So we also got our first sunburns of the season, but nothing major. I was in heaven because Alan took us out to dinner so I wouldn't have to deal with cooking and dishes. He also took me to look at rocking chairs for the baby's room, but I'll have more on that later in the week (or possibly next week at the rate I'm going).
Just finishing up


Mason helping dad rebuild the fence. He loves climbing ladders. Is that normal?


Mom and Mason shared the view on the front porch. I'm not so good at the self-photography.

1 comments:

Josh and Juli said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of work, but I bet it will be nice! I can totally imagine Mason just being in boy heaven with all of it!