Friday, April 18, 2008

The Three B's go Baking -- Beautiful Banana Bread

I made a loaf of banana bread for the first time in a long time yesterday. The bananas don't normally last long enough at our house to make bread because Mason loves them. But this recipe is, hands down, the best one I have found. It bakes out just right. It's not dry like some other recipes I've found and it has a great flavor. I hope if you try it you enjoy it!

Banana Bread

1 1/4 C. white sugar
1/2 C. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 C. mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1/2 C. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Move oven rack to low position so top of pan will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 2 8X4-in. loaf pans or 1 9X5-in. loaf pan. Mix butter and sugar until well mixed. Stir in eggs completely. Add bananas, buttermilk, and banana. Beat with a spoon until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt just until moistened. Divide batter evenly if using 2 pans, or pour into 9-inch pan. Bake 8-in loaves about 1 hr or 9-in loaf about 1 hour 15 mins-1 hr 20 mins until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on cooling rack for 10 mins. Loosen sides of loaf and remove from pan. Place on cooling rack and cool completely, about 2 hours. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature for up to 4 days or refridgerate for up to 10 days.

I got this out of a Betty Crocker book. There is a substitution I've used for buttermilk in there, too. It works just as well, but not necessarily better. You measure 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice (I used lemon juice) plus enough milk to equal 1/2 C. You may also add 1 C. chopped nuts to the batter before baking, but I don't because I'm the only one who likes them. Happy baking!

0 comments: