Friday, February 6, 2009

The Great Kelloggs Debate

With the preponderance of leftover Super Bowl food at our house (which we have mostly made it through now, by the way), we ended up having a conversation/debate I wanted to get your opinions on.

There was one night that leftovers just did not appeal to me. This pregnancy-no-appetite thing is getting old. Anyway, I told Alan that I would just have a bowl of cereal for dinner and he could have leftovers. Thus started his protest and the debate: a bowl of cereal is not a meal!

I maintain that it is. It's a great meal for when mom feels like total crap and Mason and I are the only ones home. It's a great meal for breakfast. It's also great for a midnight snack sort of meal when I desperately need something to quell the heartburn long enough I can (pretend to) fall asleep.

So here's the question: does cereal count as a meal? Often times we supplement with a piece of fruit (either cut up in the cereal or on the side), some yogurt, a piece of toast, etc. But sometimes we just let it stand. Keep in mind that I'm generally a stickler about the cereal we buy; Froot Loops ("Colors") are the highest in sugar that Mason will ever get if Mom is doing the shopping. We're big fans of Frosted Mini Wheats, Kix, Rice Krispies, or Cheerios of any variety. (Or at the very least, the cheap knock off bags that make you feel like you've eaten 5 gallons of cereal by the time it's finally gone!). Leave a comment or take a poll, or both. It's your choice!

7 comments:

Joseph Weed said...

I definetly think a bowl of cereal is considered a meal especially if it's paired with something else. It might not be as filling as a casserole or pancakes but it does a good job of taking the hungry away!

Ali said...

People eat cereal for breakfast all the time...breakfast is considered a meal therefore cereal counts as a meal. That is my thought. Besides I totally remember what it is like to be pregnant and not have anything sound good. You have to just eat whatever your body will let you eat even if it is just cereal!

Ali said...

P.S. I finally posted the tag!

Josh and Juli said...

I say it's a meal - I had it last night for dinner, as a matter of fact! (Josh played basketball and didn't want to eat before his game, so we had dinner at 9:00 and cereal was the fastest thing!)

Bethany said...

Isn't Breakfast the most important meal of the day? In that case I say it is a meal REGARDLESS of when you eat it!

carolee said...

Yes, yes, yes cereal's a meal!! Especially a good one for pregnant girls, since its fortified with all kinds of vitamins. Plus you can add berries, bananas and all kinds of yummy stuff to really pack in the nutrition. I'm totally with you on this one, Jannda.

Sonja said...

I agree that cereal is a meal. Most of us would have starved if it wasn't for the cereal cupboard. (Trix are my favorite.)