Sunday, June 14, 2009

Learning Experiences

So Mason developed this really red rash on his face a couple of days ago. No, I didn't take pictures. But I thought maybe it was from the constant presence of Thomas tattoos on his sensitive skin. We had to buy replacements when he was refusing to shower, and the short story is that he's been wearing tattoos in some form, on both cheeks, for the last three weeks. Well, the rash started on his cheeks. I thought maybe I'd scrubbed a little too hard removing the last batch of tattoos, but it spread. So here's our first learning experience: if you ever have to remove temporary tattoos, Mary Kay Eye Makeup Remover with cotton balls does the trick gently and with minimal elbow grease.

Secondly, I had been using Febreze in Mason's room to help combat the smell involved when he has an overnight accident that soaks through his pillow case. This was the actual source of the allergic reaction. I had a hard time figuring out what would only involve his face, hands, and forearm. After replacing his sheets and pillow, the rash is all but gone. I guess we won't be using Febreze any more! Apparently they make pillow protectors for just such a scenario, though. When I'm not totally crippled by getting both kids out of the house (in other words, when my husband is home), I will be making a run to find something of that sort.

Third, regular Cortisone cream will make a three year old cry. They have a "cooling relief" gel that is wonderful. He didn't even rip his arms away while I was rubbing it on.

Now if I could get him NOT to grab the hot curling iron like he did yesterday, we'll be in business. Fortunately, he was "testing" to see if it was hot, so he just burned one spot on one finger. And the highly recommended aloe with lidocaine did the trick. Thanks, Kristi!

2 comments:

Joseph Weed said...

Well it's good to hear you found the problem of the rash, and thank heavens it was easy to fix!

I was listening to a Pediatrician talk about nightime potty training talking about how kids will sometimes wet the bed at night up until age 7! I was surprised but I think it's good to know. So it's not out of the ordinary for them to wear some sort of pull-up at night for a while.

Sorry thats so long, I just thought I pass on some info :) Oh and lavender oil is great for burns!

thebirchfam said...

So this is so overdue, I haven't been on my blog since February but CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so happy for you, I hope that I can see Claire sometime soon!