Friday, June 5, 2009

Two Week Checkup


We took Claire in for her two-week checkup a few days ago. Overall she is healthy, but she is still down several ounces from her birthweight. That means the doctor wants me to start jumping through hoops like I did with Mason; I'm breastfeeding her, pumping what she doesn't eat before she dozes off, feeding her the pumped breastmilk, and then supplementing with formula if necessary. It was discouraging at first to hear that she hasn't been gaining weight. But I'm glad she's healthy overall. We can work on the weight gain.

Mason has been such a great big brother. He rushes to check on her when she cries, offers her a pacifier even if she's busy eating, and loves to help us with every aspect of her care. Plus, whenever her eyes are open he loves to talk to her. Her eyes get big when he's around; I think he's her own personal cartoon character because he's always so full of energy. He constantly asks us about "my baby" and asks if we "think she's cute". For the record, Mason, yes we do. It's why we're willing to hang in through long nights and deal with that little cry (I call it her cry of righteous fury--this girl can cry LOUD); it's why we're willing to ask you to do it, too.

4 comments:

carolee said...

That little gal has an angelic face! She is just too cute. I'm so glad to hear what a good big brother Mason is. I'm really nervous about that for my own family. :)

Josh and Juli said...

She's so cute! I'm glad she's healthy - I'm sure she'll gain weight soon enough. It's hard when they don't have the energy to stay awake to finish eating, but it's definitely good to pump the extra - you can always freeze what she doesn't eat. Plus, it keeps your supply up, so she'll gain more weight later when she's awake more. (Can you tell I've been there before???) Mason's such a cute big brother, too!

Shani said...

I am glad she is healthy. I have been really paranoid about Chase gaining weight so I have been feeding him and then also pumping the rest to try and feed him because he is kind of a lazy eater and falls asleep! Hope little Claire starts to chunk it up a bit! She is adorable.

cassie said...

She is gorgeous, I mean it absolutely gorgeous!