Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Murphy is my co-pilot

Our air conditioner went out, which really sucks. When I left to take Mason to swimming lessons, it was 87 degrees inside despite Alan's best efforts. Not to mention the fact that we haven't financially recovered from maternity leave yet, and I'm not back to working my normal number of hours yet. Safe to say I wanted to jump in the pool with Mason. Alan was a rockstar yesterday and got it fixed. It ended up being a capacitor. In our area, large power surges are not uncommon. According to the HVAC guy, he's repaired lots of these out here. Finding the part was easy and it was only a $15 part. The steep part was... are you ready for it?... labor at $95/hour. Seriously.

While we were working on that, Alan noticed that our water heater was running constantly into the drain next to it through a pipe. The pipe is not all that uncommon, but the valve being open isn't normal, either. A trip to Home Depot revealed the reason: the valve on the overflow commonly fails after a few years. They don't make 'em this way any more, so we will have to invest in an overflow tank. But don't worry, it's been leaking at least 5 gallons of water. Per day. In the summer. Alan inquired about our water bill, and I hadn't noticed a huge difference because I was expecting an increase anyway due to summer water usage.

In addition, we caught a large flying rock with Alan's windshield coming home from American Fork Canyon. With the drastic change in temperature from being parked in the sun to the garage, the rock chip turned into a crack. And registration is due by the end of July. We may have to buy a new windshield. Honestly.

They say things come in threes. I hope they don't mean multiples of three.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a crappy few days!