We took our new used camping trailer out for its inaugural run. It was just a quick overnight trip up American Fork canyon to accomplish two goals: first, figure out what we're missing and what we still need to take a longer camping trip. Second, to ensure Mason got a small taste of the outdoors. He's been begging to go camping since the last time we went camping at Flaming Gorge last September after all.
We met with mixed results, although I would say leaning on the more successful side. We accomplished both of our goals, although we forgot to take a notepad and a pen to write lists with. This was a huge problem since I'm a compulsive list maker. I'm working through that disappointment.
We had a busy day before we could leave, so we didn't get up there until dinner time. I had half-prepared our meal ahead of time, and Alan finished it up and put it all together while I was feeding the baby (again-- I swear, feeding the infant is at least 70% of my day, and this trip was no different). We ate dinner before it got too dark outside and took Mason for a bike ride/walk to go exploring. We found this beautiful (all right, it was also kind of disgusting with all the moss and standing water) pond area where the boys climbed on some fallen logs and tossed some rocks into the water. The dogs thought it was a great place to lay down also, so they were soaking wet and they loved every minute of it.
Our first night in the trailer was mostly okay, but somewhat eventful. We pulled the dogs inside because we were in bear country, and Samson doesn't have the greatest track record with animals larger than he is. We set up the Pack 'N Play for Claire to sleep in as well. So between the two kids and two dogs out in the "living area", there wasn't a whole lot of space. It meant Rio ended up sleeping on the heating vent for half the night and panting profusely if the heater kicked on.
On the other hand, it was so nice to be in a bed while we were camping. Mason was super excited to sleep on the couch that pulls into a bed. We got him a light stick that glows for 12 hours, and he used that as a night light. Claire slept through the night quite soundly. The only real hitch was that Mason kept crying. He wasn't exactly waking up. Apparently at some point, he rolled right out of bed. I have no recollection of this. Thank goodness Alan was there and woke up so Mason didn't finish out the night on the floor with the puppies.
In the morning, we woke up surprisingly late. Both kids slept in until 0830! Alan had the great idea to show Mason how you can buy the small boxes of cereal and cut along the dotted line to make a sort of bowl for your cereal. He was totally fascinated. It was also the first time he's had Cocoa Krispies, because for the most part I'm a cereal purist and refuse to let him get anything with too much sugar in it (although I've caved on the occasional box of Froot Loops, a.k.a "Colors"). After breakfast, we packed up and took Mason on a Nature Trail located just barely down the canyon from the Timpanogos Cave trail. He loved being out on a walk. I loved that it wasn't much of a hike, since I forgot the sling and/or Snugli and I was carrying Claire.
After the hike, we stopped back at the trailer to pack up sandwiches and stuff for a small picnic at Silver Lake. Mason finally got to throw some rocks in "big water"and ate several chocolate/mint cookies (thank you, Anne!). To call it a hit would be a huge understatement. He capped off the perfect day by helping dad pack up and hook up the trailer before we headed home. He's already secured the promise of a much longer camping trip to come.






2 comments:
Sounds FUN! I am glad you had a good time!
That does sound fun. The older we get, and the more kids we have, the more we're sure camping would be a lot better with a trailer. Where did you guys get your used one from?
Post a Comment