Saturday, September 27, 2008

Two Little Monkeys at the Zoo Again

One other bonus of the cooler weather (beyond what I've already mentioned loving about fall!) was another trip to the zoo. We are such regulars I'm considering getting us a membership for next year.



This was also our first experience with the new carousel. I wasn't aware that a supervising parent rode for free, so I purchased two tickets, which meant I had one extra ride to hold over Mason as a good-behavior reward. Or to lord over him as an incentive to be good, take your pick. The first time, he rode on a non-moving giraffe and I don't think he enjoyed that so much. But the second ride, on a tiger that went up and down, was a big hit. I'll post the video of him saying "Weee!" when I have a chance to make sure it won't make someone ill from all the motion.




It was a whole different experience being there in the afternoon. The crowd cleared out around 1500 hrs (3:00 pm for those of you who have not been overrun by a 24 hour clock), and the animals were more active for the most part (especially the adorable baby Spider monkey who hopped around like a kangaroo.) This guy, on the other hand, was all about the afternoon doze.


I also got in a most excellent workout lugging the wagon around again. This time, I put it on the scale designed to see if I was pulling two kids or a baby elephant. You can't read the numbers as well as I hoped, but I swear it's telling you I pulled 93 lbs. uphill and downhill and all through the town.


We got right on the carousel and the train without a wait, and as a reward for their wonderful manners, we let the kids each pick an overpriced toy out from the gift shop. Mason picked a semi-truck (I know, I was genuinely surprised too) that has given me the joy of re-hooking the trailer and cab back together at least a hundred times already in the last two days. Ashlyn picked a purple skunk that has overruled her life and her mom's life. I feel, by purchasing it for her, I have secured my place as her honorary aunt who gets to buy annoying toys. I think she wants a saxophone for Christmas.

3 comments:

Shani said...

I am a big fan of the zoo. I have heard of a lot of people getting memberships and saying that it was well worth it. I also read your post on Body Worlds. I am going on October 2nd, so we will have to discuss whether or not it is worth it. Kinda freaky, but almost like a bad car accident. You just have to see it!

JM said...

Awesome, buy the crazy toys for Heather's and I will buy them for Mason.....What do you say to drums for christmas?

Amber said...

We really need to go to the zoo together. I have been wanting to go with Logan again this year. Your pictures are cute! And now that they have the carousel, Logan would love it!