Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite of the major holidays. I really love to bake and spend time with family, so it goes without saying that I would love a day centered around good food and loved ones. Especially with my side of our family, it's a rare opportunity for everyone to get together and I don't take that lightly. But even further than that, I have so many things to be grateful for and today gives me a chance to pause and really focus on that. Suddenly, the stomping hissy fit Mason is in the middle of seems so minor compared to the "big picture". So here in no particular order are the things I'm grateful for; they mirror a lot of lists my friends have already posted.

- My family. This is a huge one, and encompasses so many different things. My husband who is a smart, hard worker and encourages me to stay home with Mason. Mason himself, who has taught me so much about myself and life in general. Even though right now he's going through a fit-throwing phase that makes being home seem like a chore, when he isn't throwing a fit or having a hard time, he is such a sweet, smart, and funny kid. He loves to learn, laugh, and play. He has a way of cutting through all the pretenses that a lot of adults have built up and is just himself all the time. He always lets me know where I stand with him; I think he gets that from his dad, and it's such a good thing most of the time. I'm grateful for the baby on the way, but more on that later! I'm also grateful for in-laws and parents who are always there for us and very supportive. The relationship I have with my mom, especially since Mason was born, is leaps and bounds above what I ever thought it could be and I'm so grateful for all of her support and encouragement. I've been lucky in a way to have a close relationship with Alan's mom, who is also supportive and helps me complete projects and do things I never thought I would or could do. And the dads, who are always standing by protectively to help me out with whatever Alan can't accomplish when long work hours take him away. Our family is crazy and imperfect, but they are perfect for me and I love them all.

-My friends. When I need a little bit of sanity or girl power, there is a solid group of friends I can turn to. I have had a lot of disappointment with friendships in my life, figuring out which ones were healthy and which ones weren't hurtful. It's so nice to be in a place where I can count on my friends and I feel like they can count on me. Heather, Joey, Amber...my week isn't complete unless I've at least talked to you all. Even though work, kids, and life in general don't always allow us to spend a lot of time together, when we do get together it feels like no time has passed. And I also have an extended circle of friends that I am lucky to have, who I also appreciate. These three are my core friends, though, and one of the bright spots in my life.

-Stability. Alan and I have been very blessed with a stable life in a lot of aspects. First off, we both are relatively healthy. I've been especially grateful for this strength when I've been pregnant. So many people have hard pregnancies or deliveries and I have been very lucky in both these areas. We are both extremely relieved to have stable jobs, especially with all the economic difficulties surrounding us. We joke that stupid people are our job security; it isn't quite like that. Really, it's people needing help that are our job security, and there will always be people who need help; there will also always be a few nuts mixed in. I'm grateful we both have jobs we love and do well at to support our family. I'm also grateful for the flexibility that allows me to have the best of both worlds and to be at home with Mason most of the time.

So with that, I've got about a hundred things to do today so I'd better jet. But if you haven't had a chance to pause and think about it, I would love to know--what are you thankful for?

0 comments: