Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Halloween Index

A is for Alternatives. As an alternative to candy, Mason got some interesting stuff. One of our neighbors handed out coupons for a free Arby's roast beef sandwich. We're guessing they are the owner. He also got a purple straw with pumpkins on it. He loves this thing and must have it with every beverage.



B is for Boo'ed--we got Boo'ed twice (if only I was on top of things and had gotten the first sign out!) and felt like our neighbors love us. We were grateful to be included, even if the treats I put together didn't quite come out as planned.


C is for Chili. It's what's for dinner.


D is for Dad. He had the day off work. On a holiday. It was great!


E is for energy. Mason had it in spades. He was so excited to do everything.


F is for friends. Out trick-or-treating, we found a few to join up with.


G is for Grandma's 'hood. The first trick-or-treating stop we made.


H is for Hamburgler. It was my favorite costume that someone wore to work yesterday.


I is for Irritated. If you haven't taught your kids the rules of trick-or-treating and send them out, shame on you. There is nothing wrong with wishing someone a Happy Halloween or saying thank you for treats. If the porch light isn't on, don't go there. If I don't answer fast enough when you ring my doorbell even though my porch light isn't on, don't knock repeatedly. That is all.





J is for James; Mason was transformed into James and loved his costume.


K is for Kennels. Where the dogs spent their night barking at the doorbell. They don't like Halloween very much!




L is for Ladybug. We had a pretty sweet one at our house.


M is for MarioKart. It's what we did for family fun while we were answering the door to trick-or-treaters.


N is for Neighbors. Neighbors who share their candy with our excited kid and send their kids, in fun costumes, to our house to raid our candy supply.


O is for Outside. It was cold and dark, but I think Mason could've stayed out all night if it weren't for needing to go to the bathroom.






P is for Pumpkins. Alan spent hours carving these. The picture is a little hard to see. I'm still learning how to work the camera in the dark. Our choices are limited to either a little hard to see or impossible to make out.


Q is for Quick. The candy went quick this year!


R is for Rings. These and the...


S is for Stickers....were actually a huge hit with trick-or-treaters. I was fairly shocked. "S" also has to be for Snickers because it was the candy of the year in our neighborhood. Mason probably has the equivalent of a whole bag of them in his candy stash.


T is for Thomas. Mason had a Thomas jack o'lantern, and a Thomas treat bucket. You could say this is following the household theme.



U is for ugly. Some of my neighbors who are really into Halloween built a maze in their driveway. Their costumes were (intentionally) ugly and scary. Mason LOVED them and couldn't stop talking about it after he got home.



V is for Volume. Mason was going for volume with his candy haul. It might take us YEARS to eat as much candy as he got.



W is for Who the hell took our pumpkins? They aren't smashed; they are just gone. Whoever took one that was plainly for a little kid... you suck. I guess we'll have to bring them in next year.


X is for X-ray shirt. I know this isn't related to anything for us, but I thought it was awesome! (All right, I tried to go find the picture and come back to post it, but I can't find it. It was this amazing shirt a local girl made and sent a picture to our newspaper. She was pregnant, and it was like one of those black shirts with a white skeleton, but then she also made a skeleton baby over where her stomach was. It said she had her baby a couple weeks early and passed the shirt on to her sister. For some reason, I LOVED it.)


Y is for young 'ns. The only thing I enjoy about Halloween is watching the little kids (including my own) enjoy it.


Z is for ZZZZZ. What we all did when the sugar high finally wore off.

1 comments:

Thumper said...

Jan...this is so dang cute! Love the pics and the Index. Where did you learn to be sooooo creative??? Alan is quite the carver...hmmm. Luvs to ya all, Thumper