Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sweeeet!


I have finally gotten around to posting the recipe I promised a little while ago. The picture I took didn't turn out the greatest, but enough you get the idea. This time around, we made it for "golf night", wherein we invited Ashlee and Brian over to enjoy a night of Tiger Woods Golf on Wii and ate popcorn among other things. Thanks for coming over guys! Mason loved having someone with the patience to rebuild the couch cushion tunnel, because the novelty of that wore off for me long ago.


Candy Popcorn
3 bags of microwave buttered popcorn
1 bag mini marshmallows
1 C. butter (two sticks)
1/2 C. light Karo syrup
1 1/2 C. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
M&Ms as desired (I used 1/2 of a medium sized bag)
Nuts as desired (my mother-in-law recommended cashews and I used about two handfuls)



-Pop popcorn in the microwave and dump into a large bowl. (And by large, I mean HUGE. My mother in law mixes this in her roasting pan!) Dump marshmallows into bowl with popcorn and toss to mix.


-Melt butter in saucepan. Add syrup, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 4 minutes, stirring frequently enough it doesn't stick to the pan. Pour hot mixture over popcorn. Add M&Ms, nuts, and any other candy you want to try and mix thoroughly. Store covered.



So I learned a few things making this own for the first time. First: don't store it in a metal bowl. It hardens onto the sides and you can't even cut it out unless you put the bowl in a hot water bath. I now have it stored in a tupperware bowl lined with waxed paper, which is going much better. Next, make sure you remove any unpopped kernels before you add the marshmallows. This way, you can actually get them out instead of eating them. Because the marshmallows melt and then removing anything attached to it is impossible. Last but not least be careful when mixing. Recently boiled glaze (or whatever it's called) burns when you touch it. Otherwise, it is a really good treat! Enjoy!

1 comments:

JM said...

I am thinking the photo does not do it justice