Friday, August 1, 2008

They say the best things in life are free

So this blog title totally has me singing this song. And then I want to watch Empire Records (hey, Amber!), which might be one of the best stupid movies ever. It's a vicious cycle, isn't it? "Excuse me, ow. Excuse me, ow." Well, back to your regularly scheduled post.

I've been looking into doing my own blog background now, thanks to the fabulous birthday gift my aunt-dad gave me. As a result of this pondering, I've come across some pretty fantastic things. And guess what? They are free. This Friday, here are my Five Favorite Freebies. These things are always linked to on the right hand side of my page toward the bottom of the column.

1. Cute Handwriting and Scrapbooking Fonts- I previously posted about getting my own handwriting turned into a true type font for free. Well, the last time I looked at the fonts on Kevinandamanda.com, she had updated the fonts for peas section and you can now download my handwriting onto your own computer for free. It's one of 20 she deemed cute enough to do! I got over that quickly enough when I scrolled down and saw the others she added that are so cute they make my handwriting look like chicken scratch. If you are looking for something new and a little different, this is one freebie you must check back with often. She also posts some recipes that look wonderful.

2. Blog design tips and amazing backgrounds that go right up- this is where my current background came from. They have about 200 others and new ones all the time. They also have tips for making your own blog design. I'm trying it out. Also, I apologize for anyone who tried using the link I've had for this one recently. I just figured out the other day that I had typed it incorrectly. If you're in the market for a blog background, TheCutestBlogontheBlock is a great place to start. Also, if you're having trouble getting your background from their old link to load, check out this new one for instructions on how to change it; they've recently changed their server and promised that the new links are working much better.

3. More cute blog backgrounds- If you want a layout that is a little different from the pyzam/cutestblogontheblock, try Leelou Blogs instead. Their designs are cute, scrapbook-y, and textured. They also all have a separate design for a header if you are after that, too. This one, like the others, will do a specialized blog design for you for a price if you're interested. But this is all about the freebies, and she has plenty of those!

4. Digital scrapbooking pages and extras- I stumbled across Raspberry Road Designs while I was trying to decide if I'm creative enough to do my own blog background. The blog tips on cutestblogontheblock recommended a site that led me to here with the promise of free "paper". She frequently offers free paper; everything I found on her site is cute and even when there is a price, it's relatively cheap for the download. If you're ever in the market for this kind of thing, stop there first.

5. Drinks- This is totally unrelated to any of the digital/scrapbooking/internet universe (other than I might be drinking one while I ponder this universe), but the Jamba Juice near me recently started offering punch cards again. Words cannot express my excitement about this, considering any trip to the grocery store or the "red" store prompts nearly unlimited patience from a two-year old who knows the parking lot well enough to ask for a "treat, please... pleeeeease?" anytime we're in the vicinity. I mean, a fruit smoothie is a way healthier treat than ice cream or the suckers Kyle gives him at the credit union, so how can I resist something that allows my grocery shopping to commence in peace? Getting every 7th one for free is just icing on the cake.

0 comments: