Monday, October 20, 2008

Lockdown

I'm not sure I've mentioned this, but one of Mason's new favorite things is to go out in the back yard and play with the dogs. Our back yard is fenced, so it isn't such a big deal to let him out there when windows are open and we can hear him all the time. It's kind of nice that my four years of hard work with puppies and the baby are paying off in that they can entertain each other for a bit while I do dishes or whatever else I'm working on. I don't dare go much further than the kitchen, though because he also wants to get dog toys out of uncovered window wells (an idea only perpetuated by his dad).




Well, there is a downside to his new independence. He can open the front and back door and let himself in and out. He usually chooses times to do this when it isn't a good idea--when the resident grown up is in the bathroom or while it's raining outside. I can't count the number of times in the last couple of weeks I've been upstairs doing housework when I hear the front door or back door pop open and Mason helps himself to a dose of freedom.



All manner of discipline has not been enough to keep my outside-lovin' kid from opening the doors on a whim. The top of my fridge is full of toys, movies have been revoked and treats denied. So we finally resorted to lockdown. The more I think about it, I'm kind of impressed we made it this long without this.





Back Door

Front Door

2 comments:

Nicol said...

I love the locks! Livy has figured out how to unlock the doors and has escaped a few times. Where did you get the locks at?

JM said...

Damn! If that don't keep him in!