Friday, October 17, 2008

Tag: Six Compulsions

So, Shani tagged me. If I tag you at the end, thank her for this. I left you the link to her blog so you can do exactly that. I'm sure she won't mind some snark. Her post about Halloween sucking made me happy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! (And Shani, just for your peace of mind-- this is the first year Mason will be going trick-or-treating. He's wearing the same monkey costume I bought last year. I'm that cheap and I hate Halloween, but it's only fair that he gets candy for wearing his "monkey sweats". I'm screwed next year when I try to come up with a clearance costume again, because my luck falls on the side that says it won't be the right size or won't get here in time, and I refuse to pay full price for a holiday I think is pointless. I hope Amber doesn't disown me for saying any of this.)




Anyway, this tag is simply to list six of my "OCD tendancies". I had a bank customer once who's daughter was diagnosed with OCD, and he said he disliked how people used the term for their compulsions because, at the age of seven, OCD was actually taking over her life. So because I try not to use that term, I changed it. This may be #6 if I can't think of something else.



1. As I have previously posted, if I am under a blanket, it must be arranged just so. I cannot have the end with a tag by my face. I literally can't sleep with it that way. I also can't rest comfortably if it is improperly folded or if the edge isn't pulled up under my chin.



2. My husband's eyebrows must stay groomed. I literally will not look at him if he's messed them up just to mess with me.



3. Stuff has to be straight. By stuff, I mean pictures, both on the wall or placed on a table or our dresser; Alan usually doesn't need a level when he hangs something. I will make sure it is straight. The kitchen table legs must to line up with the lines on our linoleum. I had a specific place for everything down to the paperclip holder on my desk at the bank. Even paper left on my desk had to be stacked and placed perpendicular to everything else. If the stack wasn't tidy, I would have to fix it. Staples must be placed in the corner, long side to the short side of the page. The paper stack must be perfectly neat before I staple it. (I was no good with office work, and have learned to let most of this go since now there's virtually no chance I will sit at the same desk two shifts in a row). Towels must be folded corner to corner. This continues with virtually everything in my life. Don't laugh at me when you get your Christmas card. I make them, and don't even get me started on how they have to line up when I fold them... honestly, I could go on for at least another paragraph this size. I'm neurotic.



4. Doors that are supposed to be shut must be shut. Part of this is mom mode, but if you want me to kill you, leave a cabinet open after you get a glass out of it. I'm not joking.



5. As I have also posted before, I must put items away as I'm finished with them when I'm cooking. This is at its worst when I'm baking. By the time the cookies are ready to be shaped, every ingredient is put back in the cupboard or fridge. Afterward, see #4. By the time the cookies are baked, the dishes I used are washed. This also goes for the beginning of the cooking process. I will totally bleach down my kitchen before I cook something, especially treats for someone else. Unfortunately, this high degree of motivation does not necessarily apply to the rest of my house or the other instances I'm in the kitchen.



6. I LOVE Ziploc bags. (Jill, my Lia Sophia lady, has talked me out of using them as a jewelry box.) I use them for open baking products, open cheese, basically anything in the fridge that has been opened and replaced for multiple uses, everything we ever pack (even to go camping), etc. This could actually be expanded to include almost all bags. I usually don't wrap gifts, I purchase a bag (and heaven help me if the tissue paper isn't straight, see #3). And can I tell you how much I am loving the 'go green' bags from the grocery store? They are currently holding anything in my house from retired sippy cups to the items I take to work to the tulips I so desperately need to plant before the first real freeze.



So, I tag any of my fellow weirdos who are willing to participate. I haven't had great success with naming specific names in tags, so I'm not going to willingly obligate anyone else to it. Except maybe Nicol. You're it!

1 comments:

Nicol said...

Lol! I guess we are all a little crazy! I'll post my tag tomorrow.