The Utah Grizzlies hosted and NHL Exhibition game last Sunday, and of course Alan's whole family was dying to go. Mason has attended the charity game Alan plays in annually, but he has never been to a real, live hockey game. I was a little nervous about how this would go, but willing to play along since Grandma, Grandpa, and both uncles would be there; Mason is always so much happier with that kind of a group!
It was the San Jose Sharks vs. the LA Kings. Anyone who knows much about hockey (I was quickly filled in) knows that San Jose's roster is solid but LA is still trying to figure out who their team should be. Naturally, we were rooting for San Jose..with the exception of Alan who genetically can't root for the same team his youngest brother, Kyle, roots for. He said he wanted to try, but he just couldn't do it.
Well, as we arrived, Uncle Paul bought Mason a wooden replica hockey stick. Mason loves it and for the past few days has been confused about what he should hit with it. Fortunately, he only smacked anyone in the face with it a couple of times at the game and never since then. Thanks, Paul!

Mason sat in the spare seat next to me and watched the game for a few minutes. It happened to coincide with a San Jose player getting sent to the penalty box for interference. Since Mason is so interested in what's actually going on during the game, I tried to think of a way to explain a penalty for him. Finally, it came out something like this: "Mason, do you see that man over there on the other side of the ice sitting inside the box? He got put in time out for getting in another player's way."
I didn't see the humor in it until the four people (none of whom we knew, by the way) within earshot started laughing. But sure enough, every time someone went to the box, Mason was all over it: "He got put in time out. He was naughty!"
Also, I didn't think cameras were allowed inside the rink, so I didn't take mine. Imagine my surprise when the girl in front of me started taking pictures of the game with both her camera AND her cell phone. Instead, I borrowed cheesy graphics and a picture from the Grizzlies website. I know this is probably totally illegal but I linked it to their site and I'm giving them credit, so that counts for something, right?
This has increased Mason's desire to play hockey even more. I told him only "big boys" can go to skating lessons, and we know what big boys have to do first.... any chance this will encourage him to potty train? Stay tuned!







0 comments:
Post a Comment