I have this fantastic book called The Best Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff. It was recommended to me by a former co-worker and has been a pretty good guide in trying to make changes to our diet at home. I probably don't cook from it as often as I should, but there are definitely times I turn to it and I check there for new recipe ideas frequently.
I recently whipped it out for one of the easiest recipes I've got. My doctor pointed out at my last appointment that there is virtually no protein in my diet. When it's just Mason and I, especially at dinner we tend to opt for easy things. While I try to keep those relatively healthy, it's a small sandwich or bowl of cereal. Every now and again, we'll make something Alan doesn't care for. However, we generally steer clear of meat. This recipe fills both requirements. It's quick, easy, relatively light, and it has plenty of protein.
Black Bean Burritos
1 1/2 C. cooked black beans, or 1 15-oz. can, drained
1 tsp. Chili powder
4 flour tortillas (8-in. rounds)
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/2 C. bottled salsa
1/2 C. shredded non-fat or reduced fat Cheddar cheese
-Place the beans and Chili powder in a pot and mash lightly with a fork or potato masher, leaving slightly chunky. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 2 mins or until heated through. Set aside.
-Warm the tortillas and lay on a flat surface. Spoon 1/4 of the beans along the right side of the tortilla, stopping 1 1/2 in. from the bottom. Top with 1/4 of the corn.
-Fold the bottom edge of the toritlla up about 1 inch. Beginning at the right edge, roll the tortilla up jelly-roll style. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 burritos.
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9X13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and arrange the burritos seam side down. Top with salsa and cheddar cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Afteward, try topping with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, or scallions as desired.
Nutrition facts per burrito: 286 calories, 50 g carbs, 1 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fat, 8.1 g fiber, 15 g protein, and 467 mg sodium*.
*I use reduced sodium beans, the Heart Healthy tortillas (not necessarily whole grain, but not made with lard either), and the cheese made with 2% milk because it still melts where the nonfat stuff doesn't. That might alter this information. Also, I don't use bottled salsa, I use the fresh prepared salsa from Harmons. This last batch I got was the hot stuff, and just fair warning, it was super spicy (but so good for these!).






0 comments:
Post a Comment