Monday, June 16, 2008

The 72-hour kit challenge, week 3

So, hopefully we have containers we can live with to start storing this stuff in and some water. Our next goal is to put together one day worth of meals for each kit. Some of the possibilities are MREs (meals ready to eat), freeze dried foods, or C-Rations bars. These need to either have a long shelf life or you should be willing to rotate often. Keep in mind the temperature variations where the kit will be stored, and the nutritive content. Since the goal is to keep these things portable, the more compact and lightweight the meals are, the better.

My own personal experience with MREs amounts to this -- eh. Some of them were okay. Most of them were disgusting. But honestly, given the choice between the MREs and starving, I would probably eat them. When Alan's brother was in the Marines, he sent a few home for us to try. Since I was pregnant at the time, I'm not sure my opinion can count for a whole lot because my taste buds were totally sensitive. I have not tried many freeze dried foods, nor have I tried C-Ration bars. I know MREs are generally in stock and fairly reasonably priced at the Army/Navy surplus store or any recreation store. I would imagine they have a few other ideas for things you could use as well.

These all have a long shelf life, usually about 5-10 years. You can use other, more short-term items. Let your imagination be your guide. Sometimes I don't have one, so I'll probably stick to what I can find at Cabela's, Recreation Outlet, or the Army/Navy store. Canned or supermarket items can work, but be careful of the "use by" dates. They may not have such a forgiving shelf-time.

Also remember it may be possible to use items from your fridge or freezer in the event of disaster. Refrigerated items can last at least 4-6 hours without electricity before they start to wander. Frozen items can last a day or two depending on how fully loaded your freezer might be. And most important of all, especially where children are concerned, make sure it's something you will actually eat (I wonder how long the shelf life is for Pepperidge Farm Goldfish?) . It doesn't do any good to stock up on food you wouldn't even eat in an emergency! Good luck!

2 comments:

Nicol said...

Thanks for posting these! Food is really hard. I have started 72 hour kits multiple times and I ALWAYS get stuck with the food.

Several years ago before we moved we put together food for 72 hours kit with lots of stuff. When it was time to replace it, we opened it and figured we would eat some. It was awful, everything tasted like mint gum. We had a pack in the sealed mylar bag kit.

I will figure out a different option and it might have to be the MRE.

Joseph Weed said...

Thanks for the info! This has inspired me to finally get moving on 72 hours kits.

Oh and I completely agree, sometimes when you don't follow the exact recipe you get much better results! This is something I do a lot...