Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

After Mason's first bath, January 2006
2/26/06

First camping trip, Whitney Reservoir, July 2006


7/31/06



I guess if I had been thinking ahead properly I should've done a Friday Five that was Father's Day oriented, but I didn't, so Alan gets this whole post to himself instead, in case he ever decides to look at my blog.

Most know that Mason was a complete surprise. We weren't planning on or expecting a child any time soon. In fact, we had just decided that we wanted to wait a little longer. It was only three months after that conversation we found out we were going to have him.

It truly took us for the pregnancy, and possibly beyond, to prepare. If we're being totally honest about it, I thought I was going to end up doing the child care myself for the most part. Alan worked so much (still does) I didn't think he would be extremely hands on.

I have never been so proud to admit I was wrong about something! When Mason was first born, if I wanted to keep my job, I had to return back to work. At that time, I had to work more than full-time, since we had mandatory overtime to the tune of about 10 hours a week. Thanks to some outside help, but more thanks to Alan stepping up, we made it through all that in one (three) pieces. Alan took on the majority of the child care through that time, and I'm sure at times he felt like a stay-at-home dad. I know being home with a tiny baby is more work than it is fun. It was a pretty tough time for all of us.

Now, Mason is more into things Alan can relate to. Their play has always been physical and dirty, and I expect it to get moreso. Mason may be getting a little too big to throw around with the greatest of ease, but Alan seems to be perfectly in-sync with him anyway. They play in the dirt, Alan teaches him how to make slides in race tracks, and they come up with all kinds of silly little games. The latest thing they do is "bounce" up the stairs. Mason loves it and will be giggling so hard he has hiccups by the time they reach the top. Mason is especially excited and happy on days when dad is home. When dad is home, often the two of them are in their own little world and mom is tagging behind with the camera (thus, the overboard number of pictures attached here).

Thanks to his Dad, Mason will know how to play golf (working on it) and hockey (have to wait to work on it until we can find small enough skates). Mason has already learned about doing yardwork (more on that in an upcoming post), digging in the dirt, drinking water out of a hose, and how to ride a 4-wheeler. Alan has a knack for including him in things when I'm at a loss for ways he can "help" us, because the more mobile and able he gets, that is what he really wants to do. There are things a mother simply can't teach and Mason will be a better man someday for having learned them. They are just some of the reasons I'm glad Mason has an awesome dad and a "man's man" around to teach him.



Butterfield Canyon 10/1/06

First Christmas 2006

Easter 2008

May Day Festival 5/10/08

0 comments: