Monday, June 2, 2008

The 72-hour kit challenge, week one

For the last few months, work has been doing an emergency prep challenge of sorts. I have been asked to post it here as well. I haven't been very faithful about doing it through work, so I'm going to give it the 'old college try' while I post here. Hopefully taking pictures will encourage me to step up and do this.

I take no credit for dividing this up. Again, these are weekly emails sent through work starting last September. The goal was to have 72 hour kits ready to use for your entire family at the end of one year's time. By breaking it up into weekly segments, they were hoping to make it a little less daunting.

I am going to try and encorporate preparedness for our two dogs as well. Alan and I have discussed that it is important to us both to provide for Rio and Samson in case of emergency because they are an integral part of our family. If you disagree, that is your right. Just disregard the more K9 friendly suggestions and we can still be friends, okay?

What I will do here is post the suggested item for the week, and post the photograph of what I'm doing on the following week, so the photo loop will be one week behind.

For the first week, the goal is to obtain containers for our individual kits. Obviously, the more easily portable the better. Just remember that each one has to hold an entire 72-hour kit, so it should portable for the person who would be using it. Each one should also be waterproof. Ideal items are as follows: a backpack, a suitcase/backpack on wheels, or duffel bag. Avoid using things like a cardboard box or a footlocker.

Happy preparing! If I come across any good deals on these items, I will post them. Thanks for playing--let me know if you're joing me and how you're progressing.

2 comments:

Nicol said...

Great! I look forward to your postings on this.

Joseph Weed said...

sounds awesome! I am excited to read more about it.