Sorry, Nicol. I know this is late. Please forgive me. Monday crept up too fast this week, or maybe I've been working too much the last few days to keep track of time properly. Either way, I'm sorry!
Wow. Six weeks into this already, and I'm only two weeks behind so far! I actually have the clothes we need, it's just a matter of compiling them. Mason is going to be the really tough one, as we all know how quickly kids grow, but I have some items of the next size already purchased, so I'll just make sure we allocate some into his 72-hour kit. I'm still looking for a deal on a roller backpack, by the way, so if anyone sees one that would be an appropriate size for a toddler, please let me know.
The challenge for week six is what I'm going to simply call bedding. You can use mylar blankets, wool blankets, or a sleeping bag kept close to your kit. Keep in mind that small children may need additional items. Also to consider: ground cover (tarp or garbage bag versus something inflatable. They have self-inflating and kinds with a pump, depending on how much you are willing to spend and how large of a kit you want to carry) and pillows. My work stated mylar blankets are small enough for a backpack, and can be found for as little as $0.99. I would think I'll go for small single or twin sized wool blend blankets and, if I can find them for low enough cost, some inflatable pillows. I am likely to grab at least an extra blanket or two for the dogs kits as well, and I'll want to make sure we have a spare flat collar and leash to make sure, should we be more nomadic, that we have a way to make them stay put at night. One other consideration is the waterproofing needs of toddlers.
Steer clear of wool if you have allergies, but in choosing blankets and bedding, keep in mind: portability, seasonal needs, warmth/waterproof-ness (I'm even making up my own words now), and comfort. If you can strike a balance between all of these, your choice is probably the perfect one for your family.
Monday, July 7, 2008
72 Hour Kit Challenge, week 6
at 21:15
Labels: 72 hr kits, emergency prep
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comments:
I really do appreciate you doing these. Today, we found the tent to put with the kit. I am still working on clothes. I have been going through a get rid of everything kick and all of my clothes are ones that I want to keep and wear. I will need to reconsider this.
You're right that children are so much harder to pack for, but I liked your suggestion of changing out clothes when you change the clocks/batteries. So that should help a little. I figure slightly too big clothes for a kid is far better then too small.
Blankets should be a little easier. I have a couple of blankets that we were required to purchase in Nauvoo. They are a fleece/wooly type material. But I think that I will also put our sleeping bags next to the kit. If there is time to grab it all then I will, if not I know that there is something. I also have the mylar "space" blankets. I have found them for less then a dollar at Recreation Outlet. If I remember they were about 50 cents. It might have been a sale at the time. I figure have those for extra protection.
Post a Comment