I'm trying so hard to get excited about our up-coming camping trip, but I just keep thinking of all the things I really hate about camping. The place we like to go is so remote there is nothing resembling a bathroom, and the last time we went, we got stuck trying to leave and it took hours to dig ourselves and my father-in-law out. I am typically what you would call a creature of comfort. I appreciate nature, but prefer it in small doses. I like my air conditioning, my bed, my clean bathrooms, and my shower. So in an attempt to buck up and adjust my attitude, I bring you this week's Friday Five.
My Five Favorite Things About Camping
1. A campfire that comes with S'mores. There's something about fire-roasted marshmallows that can't be duplicated, no matter how many S'mores Cupcakes or Brownies I bake. And although I complain after Alan comes home from a housefire with that smell, I do enjoy the smell of the fire in the proper context.
2. All the stars. Even though our house is a little more remote now than where I grew up, and we don't have as many lights to block out the stars, you still will never see more stars at a time than when you are out camping.
3. The chance to try new things. Alan and his family have introduced me to 4-wheeling. I'm not the biggest fan of that, but I think this year he's going to teach me how to shoot a BB gun. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it and feel like there might be some adventure left in me yet.
4. The food. There is no denying it. The food at Girls' Camp was always fantastic. Roasting things over the fire makes for a good meal. But Alan's family always makes really good food while they are camping, and this year we get to make some of it, too.
5. Zip-together sleeping bags. When Mason was very small (just 6 mos. old) and we went up to this same spot, it was far too cold to leave him on his own at night, just as it will be this time. He was so snuggly and sweet, and because of his desire to keep his head at the top of the sleeping bag, I got to cuddle with my baby without a foot to the thigh or a head to the back. It's been a long time since I got to snuggle with him all night, but I'm thinking this might be the last opportunity. Plus, my husband throws off body heat like a furnace and it should be sufficient enough to keep us all warm. Note to self: pack footie pajamas or socks to avoid cold toes.
Friday, July 4, 2008
Friday Fives : Five Great Things About Camping
at 09:45
Labels: Friday Fives, outings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments:
Post a Comment