I warned y'all in my first post about this trip that I took an obscene number of pictures, so I copied Carolee's idea and made them into a slide show. I hope you like it!
The third and fourth days were spent in much the same manner as the first two. We took rides on the 4-wheelers, ate a lot of good food, and spent much time gathering rocks to be chucked in water, and then chucking those rocks. Alan spent a little time teaching me to shoot a BB gun (I'm actually not too bad of a shot. Not great, but not bad, either). We made targets out of paper plates and shot for chores. I reached the circle just out from the center and earned "Diaper Duty". That was already my job to begin with, so I see it as nothing lost. At least I didn't have to gut a fish! That just sounds gross! We worked our way to a well-shaken soda can, but I didn't actually hit that. I guess I have a goal for next time. My big goal this time was to not hurt myself on a 4-wheeler, and I was successful. I even popped a wheelie when we were loading the ATVs onto a trailer; it was kinda scary and kind of fun!
Anyway, on to Mason because he is so much cuter than the adults. He would climb on the ATVs and politely ask for someone (usually "Paumpa") to take him "on the 4-wheeders, please". He helped reel in a fish for the first time, and promptly asked to squeeze it. The poor fish pooped all over Alan's hand in protest. Mason also loved making sandwiches (s'mores) and just generally being allowed to run free, dig in the dirt, and throw stuff. He dragged Grandma on walks up and down the hillsides through the bluebells and down to the lake and back. He cleared all the rocks out of our campsite. He protested bedtime until the moment he hit his pillow (or got on a 4-wheeler or landed on Grandma's shoulder).
On our third day there, we took a trip up to where there was still snow on the ground and let Mason experience sledding. It wasn't quite as big of a hit as throwing snow at Paumpa, but hey, what could possibly be so fun? Afterwards, the grandparents took Mason for a ride so Mom and Dad could enjoy a ride up over the ridge to the top of the mountain. The view was beautiful and the break was appreciated!
The fourth day was more of the same as well. The boys fished, and then Alan and I packed up while Alan's parents went for one last ride (that sounded way too death-defying for me. I'm an off-roading wuss). We had some lunch and finished packing up and then we were out of there. Mason didn't want to go; he told us he wanted to live there. Samson started whining in dismay when he realized his kennel was packed in the truck and we had to lift both the dogs in because they wanted to stay. If it wouldn't have been for the desperate desire to take a shower, I'm not sure we would have returned back to reality! I think this camping trip (at least one, maybe more) will become a summer tradition now that we know Mason fares so well and loves it so much. And have you ever seen such a very dirty boy?!









1 comments:
What a great trip! Every once in a while, kids need to get good and dirty!
I am giving you a blog award. Come over to my place (blog) to collect it.
Post a Comment