As a result of this camping trip, we've ended up with an over-abundance of breakfast-like foods. We have a few pounds of Canadian bacon, two dozen eggs, an extra gallon of milk, and about 1 1/2 lbs of sausage. We generally keep breakfast simple, with maybe a pancake, some milk, and a piece of fruit, so using this is quite the challenge. I'm cooking things we almost never eat in the hope of making it through the items I can't freeze and use gradually. So this morning, we had Eggs Benedict. It's an indulgent and not extremely healthy meal, so we almost never eat it to begin with. I'm also not very confident with sauce making, so I have always made it from a pre-packaged mix. This morning, though, we had no pre-packaged mix so I went searching for a user-friendly recipe for Hollandaise sauce. It was wonderfully easy and had a great flavor! I'm sure we will use this for many "special occasion" breakfasts to come!
Blender Hollandaise Sauce
2 egg yolks (or equivalent Egg Beaters)
1/8 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. Lemon juice
dash hot sauce (e.g. Tobasco or Cholula)
1/3 C. butter
1. Combine egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, and hot sauce in blender. Blend for about 5 seconds until thoroughly combined.
2. Melt butter in a microwave safe cup until completely melted. Turn blender on high and add butter in a thin stream. Sauce should thicken as you go. To keep warm, place blender pitcher in a pan of hot water until ready to use. Serves: 4
I adjusted this recipe to a size friendly for our small family. We had just enough. Also, don't put any in the microwave, no matter how briefly. It will cook the eggs in the sauce. I don't always think things through. The only thing I'll do differently next time is use Egg Beaters or some other egg substitute so the raw eggs are pasteurized, especially if I'm going to feed it to Mason. Also, use a light 1/8 tsp. of mustard so the flavor isn't too overwhelming.
Head to Allrecipes for more creative breakfast ideas.
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Hittin' the sauce
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments:
Post a Comment