This post is brought to you by the awesomeness of my my friend Nicol. (I previously introduced you to her here.) She explained the reasoning behind her blog name and asked what had prompted her readership to name their blogs the way they did. Rather than risk a long comment on her thread (which I am guilty of on a regular basis anyway), I thought I would instead steal her idea and use it here. Thanks, Nicol! It's not theft if I give proper credit, right?
Well, first off, I didn't want to include anything extremely identifying. I'm kind of paranoid, and also figured that anyone I have invited to read this already knows our personal information so there is no need for me to include it. Secondly, it is on the internet and I know from working at a bank you have to be careful what you put out there because of fraud and theft. So a "the****family.blogspot.com" sort of title immediately wasn't going to work for me. Yes, our last name starts with the letter "B", so that's as close to identifying as I was comfortable getting. Congratulations, identity theives, I have narrowed it down to 1/26th of the previous options for you.
Next off, I wanted to include all of us in the title in some way, even if the posts are mostly about Mason. I didn't want it to be specific to any one of our family members since it will talk about us all from time to time. Thus, the three. However, including the number of family members wasn't so simple because we also have the two dogs, so it's not just the three people. Also, "thethreebees" was taken, as was anything I could come up with involving a five.
In the end, we have "two" because of the two dogs, and "three" because there are three people in our family, and "bees" as described above.
I wish I had an inside joke or humerous story about our blog name, but I don't. For me, it was really just a process of elimination and using what was available, as well as finding something that didn't make me cringe to repeat. I had to play around with it until it "sounded" right, and I really can't explain that further. Will the name change if we have more children? I don't know. I may just find a way to tweak the meaning of what we have now. For anyone wondering, this was much the same process we used to name Samson and Mason (we had Rio's name picked out--apparently it's names of the boy variety we can't agree on). It was tedious and it took forever. Naming anything with a degree of permanence is hard!
Saturday, May 24, 2008
The Name Game
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comments:
Love it! I knew that is what the 3 B's was about but it is always nice to explain. You wouldn't be surprised at how many people couldn't figure it out. lol!
Post a Comment