Saturday, May 24, 2008

Why, yes that IS the theme song from Wonder Years on my playlist...

I recently changed up my playlist a little and one of the songs added is a cover of "A Little Help From My Friends" done by Joe Cocker (it was originally done by the Beatles, I think). You most likely heard it as the theme song to The Wonder Years.

It got me thinking about how, even when I go through periods of not watching much television, somehow I'm still influenced by these themes. Alan has a whole CD of television theme songs, and will periodically pull it out and play an impromptu version of "Name That Tune" (if you're bored sometime, follow the link!), which I have no proficiency with. I have lost many a wagered Jamba Juice during that game.

I think, in addition to The Wonder Years theme, my other favorite television themes are the song from Gilmore Girls and the theme from the last two seasons of Felicity. And I think nearly everyone in my generation knows all of the words to the Friends' theme and could sing it upon request. If I think back, I could probably recite the theme to Reading Rainbow. Then of course, there's always the Sesame Street theme. Have I mentioned how the modernization of that particular one was hard for me to swallow?

Also, it should be noted that Mason's favorite, from the time he was fairly small (I'm ignoring the commentary this may have on us as parents) was this one: Scrubs.

What television theme songs do you remember? Whether it's good or bad, I'm willing to bet we all have at least one.

2 comments:

Joseph Weed said...

I love the Gillmore Girls Theme song it is also one of my favorite shows! I have been enjoying your blog.

Nicol said...

As you listed many of the shows I could think of most of the theme songs. I don't watch TV now so there are not any recent shows that I could say I know the theme songs. It's funny, I was actually thinking of Mr. Rogers earlier today. "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...."