Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Wanted : Variations of the Alphabet

As is probably evident through some of my posts, Mason is learning the alphabet. What does that mean as a parent? It means I have sung the "ABCs" more times this week alone than I can count without a calculator. It means that if I hear the Leap Frog Fridge Phonics singing it's refrains, I put my hands over my ears. It means that we have invested more time than ever pointing out random letters and watching the slide shows at Starfall .

I'm not complaining about these things, really. I'm happy to do something educational for him. It's also WAY easier for me to draw on command when he's asking for letters instead of trains, cars, or pictures of Daddy.

I know repetition is often the key to successfully teaching things like counting, alphabets, and the like. What I don't know is this: are there other alphabet songs I could sing so I get some variety? Are there other websites or short videos anyone can recommend? I am not above mild costumes, dancing like a fool, or making something (I'm working on ideas for one of those awesome "ABC" books, it's just a matter of compiling the goods to do it). And I would be so very appreciative of some insight!

2 comments:

Nicol said...

I would love to hear about the ABC books that you want to put together! As for songs, I am stuck. I did recently purchase an ABC dvd for Livy that I really like. It is by the Preschool Prep Co (you can find it online) and it is called "Meet the Letters." I also have "Meet the Shapes". I play it a little at a time when I am needing to get lunch made or take care of one of the daycare kids.

Jann said...

Okay, great. Thank you. I'll send you an email about the book. And thanks again for that other song book -- it's been so great to have variety in the lullaby arena, too.