I recently posted a Friday Five that included my five favorite things about summer. My least favorite thing about summer is this: adults don't get time off. When I was in school, I don't know if I properly valued the three months of down time. I don't think I really grasped how precious it was until I worked at the bank. The first summer there, I remember being so tempted by the promising view out the large, conspicuously placed and angled drive up window. I was working while all these other people were stopping by and then entering the wide world, with its endless sunshine and bright blue sky. I was stuck inside for the first time in my life, and it was hard to handle.
This year won't be much different in terms of summer vacations for us. Alan doesn't have a whole lot of seniority at the fire department yet, and so most of the summer off-time falls to people who have school aged children and trailers to take them camping in. We have a couple of things planned-- at least one camping trip over a four-day break in July, and our anniversary celebration in August (top secret for now...are we betting I can keep it secret that long? Let's not. At least he hasn't guessed yet, and he says he has no idea)--but nothing like I wish were possible. So this Friday, I give you the top five places I would like to go on summer vacation.
1. Hawaii . I'm not picky where in Hawaii. Our trip there was one of the best trips ever.
2. Highway 1 . The Pacific Northwest holds great appeal, and is the only car trip I would do.
3. Antigua. Wanted to go there. Had a baby instead. Love him, but still want to go.
4. Sonoma Valley, CA. We went there last year, and could still take another trip without doing all there is to do. It was FANTASTIC and beautiful and a hundred other things.
5. Canada. Anywhere in the country, out of the heat, and I've heard it is all so beautiful. This is the view from our hotel room in Maui, HI, circa 2005
Friday, May 30, 2008
Summer Break Only Happens in Adolescence
at 10:27
Labels: Friday Fives
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
I haven't been to Hawaii but Hwy 1 is wonderful as well as the only part of Canada that I have been...Victoria, BC. It was beautiful.
We still haven't decided on our trip either.
I love the new header and layout, it looks awesome! I was really close to crossing into Canada on out Ny Trip. Hawaii would be fun!
Post a Comment