We are coming up on strawberry season, which means I get to drag out one of my favorite dessert recipes. It's my favorite for so many reasons. First, it's easy to make in a huge quantity (employer barbeques, anyone?) or a small quantity (our family). Second, it's easy to make, period. Less than 20 mins and you'll be on your way with these. Third, no baking required, so there is no need to power up the air conditioner just to bake/cook. Fourth, it's light and perfect for summer when even ice cream seems too thick-- they are not the unhealthiest dessert on record (which I am also probably guilty of making).
Please forgive me for not citing this properly. I can't remember exactly where I got the recipe, except to say I purchased the little book from the grocery store in the checkout stand.
Strawberry/Cream Puff Kabobs
6 10-inch bamboo skewers
12 ripe strawberries
18 cream puffs
2 Tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. butter
Line cookie sheet with waxed paper. Alternate and thread a cream puff, then strawberry on each skewer, ending with the third cream puff. In a plastic bag, melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave. Squish bag to mix and clip off corner. Drizzle cream puffs with chocolate. Place on cookie sheet in fridge for approx 10 mins, until chocolate is solid. Yield: 6
Notes: You can cut off the tops of the strawberries if you'd like. Also, I don't use cookie sheets because they don't fit in my fridge. I bought a couple of the disposable 9X13 cake pans that fit a little better and I just reuse them. Also, I have to be careful not to melt the plastic bag when I melt the chocolate. I use the Ziploc freezer bags (I splurge on the name brand here), and only put it in for about 45 seconds (in three intervals) on 50% power. When you cut off the corner, cut off the tiniest part possible for easier drizzling because the chocolate is quite runny.
Monday, May 19, 2008
The Three Bees and their Berries
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
How fun! I love strawberry season.
Me, too. We're also well into our third jar of strawberry freezer jam, and I only made it a week ago!
your recipe sounds yummy, I will have to make it soon.
Post a Comment