Saturday, May 3, 2008

Two Little Monkeys Go to the Zoo

We took advantage of the sunny, warmer weather yesterday by taking our first trip of the season to the zoo with Joey, Nate, and Alex. The big hit of the day was the playground, where Mason successfully made it up the rope climb for the first time. Otherwise, the zoo wasn't quite ready for the influx of people dying to get outdoors. Several of the monkeys were still inside for the winter, as were the zebras (which was a huge a disappointment). They are working on adding a large carousel, which will be open later this spring, and it's location means we also couldn't see the tortoises or kangaroos, much to the general dismay. For just $5000 or more, you too can sponsor an animal on the carousel complete with your name on a plaque at their feet. Let's get all these sponsored so we can have the kangaroos back!

Mason's favorite part of the day was monkey-watching. I think he was trying to come up with ideas to emulate later. The orangutans made a huge mess out of their cage with large paper bags (I'm sure they had tons of fun doing it), and that was what he later chose to report to dad about the outing ("Monkeys make a mess. Yeah, a big mess."). He was also fascinated with the spider monkey, which I'm sure is carryover in part from the spider he discovered on the kitchen floor the other day and eventually harrassed into a safe hiding place. He's all over anything including the term "spider" these days. Tacking on "monkey" just makes it all the more attention worthy.

In other news, I learned it's a pretty good workout to lug a toddler-loaded wagon up and down all the hills at the zoo. We're talking somewhere around the 65 lb. mark overall. Mad props to Joey who occasionally did stroller duty and assisted with the wagon-ing.

I also learned that I need to watch my language a little more closely in the car. This lesson was received about the time I had a toddler chanting "Dirtbag! Dirtbag!" in the backseat after a near miss with a non-looking lane-changing other vehicle.



I sure hope that other kid climbed off the bottom of the slide already. Otherwise, my feet are coming to get him.

Man, I have THAT much more to go?!




Come on Mase... let me help you. We can do this faster than we have been.

0 comments: